Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Current News » CURRENT NEWS post everything here

Post subject: So much for Global Warming
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:24 am 
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

later that night

This snow. So what you say? This is in Southern Japan!

Black Tuna. You may have heard about these fish. They can sell for over 1,000 a fish they often catch them off of Cape Hatteras and the East Coast of the US and sell them to Japan. Japan also tries to catch its own.

Now last year the Japanese caught a total of 3.

Yesterday Jan 23 (japan time) Japanese caught 199 Black Tuna and then another 29 today. Why? Because the water has gotten cooler and the squid that these fish feed on are moving further inland and bringing the black tuna with them. On TYV to day in Japan they showed graph of the water temperature and it has been getting steadily colder. In Hokaido today there was so much snow that all the schools closed and in Japan they don't ever close school.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 am 
Smashing neocons
Smashing neocons

If it goes anything like in Al Gore's flick, the increase in temp causes the oceans water flows to change which causes a huge temp drop ...aka ice age. Not sure if enough time has passed, or the oceans flows have been altered enough at this point. I'm still undecided on climate change as to which direction it's going to go, but I do realize man has made a definite impact in the past 100 years.

This past Tuesday a Russian scientist says an ice age is coming...

http://en.rian.ru/science/20080122/97519953.html

"Temperatures on Earth have stabilized in the past decade, and the planet should brace itself for a new Ice Age rather than global warming, a Russian scientist said in an interview with RIA Novosti Tuesday.

"Russian and foreign research data confirm that global temperatures in 2007 were practically similar to those in 2006, and, in general, identical to 1998-2006 temperatures, which, basically, means that the Earth passed the peak of global warming in 1998-2005," said Khabibullo Abdusamatov, head of a space research lab at the Pulkovo observatory in St. Petersburg. "

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 am 
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

Al Gore's flick just claims every weather phenomenon possible.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 am 
Protesting War
Protesting War

We get hot days here in Boston in January and we joke about global warming, but to correlate a single weather event with a global phenomenon is silly. Just because it did or didn't snow in southern Japan doesn't prove or disprove global warming.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:59 am 
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

well of course.

Personally I think the erath is getting warmer but I belive it has more to do with the sun than with man's activities.

The snow picture is just funny, it snowed in Florida the other day which is also un heard of. But the ocean getting colder at depths didn't happen from a day of cold weather.

Post subject: Re: So much for Global Warming
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:34 pm 
Anti-Neocon novice
Anti-Neocon novice

Ryu wrote:
Yesterday Jan 23 (japan time) Japanese caught 199 Black Tuna and then another 29 today. Why? Because the water has gotten cooler and the squid that these fish feed on are moving further inland and bringing the black tuna with them. On TYV to day in Japan they showed graph of the water temperature and it has been getting steadily colder. In Hokaido today there was so much snow that all the schools closed and in Japan they don't ever close school.

Just caught this story (it`s linked over at whatreallyhappened), thought I`d chime in...

I`m in Hokkaido, just outside kushiro. Yes, we had a snowstorm yesterday - but that`s pretty much par for the course. It`s Hokkaido. It`s winter. We had a fair amount of snow and high winds. Still have the latter. They closed a few elementary schools. Serious storms happen every winter, once or twice. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

For that matter, snow in the south is not as uncommon as you`re leading people to believe, unless you`re posting from Okinawa. Yesterday`s 2cm in Tokyo was the heaviest since `95 - but it has more to do with the fact that most of Japan tends to be pretty dry in the winter than anything else.
It does happen, though - saw it on oden-kun, just last week. :wink:

Nice shot of the ramen shop, though....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:53 pm 
Super Anti-Neocon
Super Anti-Neocon

Yeah up north they do but I live near Kobe down south. It doesn't happen much here. It happens it is about like snow in say Georgia or something (and not in the mountains but the coast).

I just thought the Kuro Magura things was strange. 199 in a day when last year they got only 3. Did you watch the news?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:09 am 
Anti-Neocon novice
Anti-Neocon novice

Ryu wrote:
Yeah up north they do but I live near Kobe down south. It doesn't happen much here. It happens it is about like snow in say Georgia or something (and not in the mountains but the coast).

I just thought the Kuro Magura things was strange. 199 in a day when last year they got only 3. Did you watch the news?

I saw that Kyoto got a dusting of snow, did not know it managed down to Kobe though. It`s not unheard of though - I`ve seen pics of Hiroshima with snow in the past. Ah, to live somewhere where it`s enough of a novelty to take pictures of...

I don`t get that network up here - I`ve got NHK, STV and I think HTB is the third one. So unfortunately I missed that story. I`ll have a look around for an online copy though.

I`m pretty sure there was something strange going on with the ocean currents this summer, as well. Eastern Hokkaido`s weather is heavily dictated by the currents - coastal areas get a lot of fog (kushiro has a matsuri for it) and cool weather, but sunny skies seem to dominate away from the coast. The currents mean that the weather tends to be fairly predictable. This summer, though - we had spring weather well into July, cloudy and damp every day. August and September were normal, then we had heavy thunderstorms (pretty much unheard of here a couple of years ago) well into early December. Fall of 2006 there was a tornado outside of Kitami. There may have been one this year as well, but Japan`s weather agency doesn`t have doppler in this part of the country. They only decided the 2006 one was a tornado because there were eyewitnesses.

It`s a little disconcerting. Worth keeping an eye on, anyway.

Post subject: yes
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:16 am 
Anti-Neocon Regular
Anti-Neocon Regular

I actually believe that global warming is real and is occuring, if you define global warming as an increase in CO2 NO, and ozone in the atmosphere, that's been well documented. The oceans are getting more acidic etc etc.

I do however believe that the earth classifies this as another hiccup, what with all the volcanic spasms it has had throughout history.

But, I am quite depressed about the loss of all the rainforest species, amphibians, birds etc, for instance many frog/salamander species are just about gone in this country.

I grew up in a rural area, and I guess I'm a softy, but wild animals rule. PK dick predicted we'll be left with nothing but dogs and cats.

I feel sorry for future generations, there are too many humans.

Board index » Current News » CURRENT NEWS post everything here